Skip to main content

You are here

Grants and support Northern Ireland

Grants in Northern Ireland

The government and energy suppliers (via the Northern Ireland Sustainable Energy Programme) provide grants to help you implement energy-saving measures in your home, such as grants for energy-efficient boilers, heating, loft insulation and cavity wall insulation. 


Affordable Warmth is funded by the Department for Social Development. If you are an owner occupier or householder of a privately rented property and your gross annual household income is less than £20,000 you may be eligible for a package of energy-efficiency and heating measures, tailored to each household.

Boiler Replacement Scheme

The scheme, provided by funding from the Northern Ireland Executive, offers owner occupiers a grant of up to £1,000 to:

  • Replace inefficient boilers with energy-efficient condensing oil or gas boilers.
  • Switch from oil to gas.
  • Switch to a wood pellet boiler.

It is available to those who earn less than £40,000 a year with an inefficient boiler of at least 15 years and is dependent on total gross income. The scheme, administered by the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE), is targeted at householders who do not qualify for other Government energy-efficient improvement schemes, making them vulnerable to fuel poverty.

If you think you may be eligible, call now on 0300 200 7874 or register by emailing NIHE

Visit NI Direct to find additional information.

Energy suppliers

The Utility Regulator’s Northern Ireland Sustainable Energy Programme provides over £7million of funding for energy efficiency work in NI each year.

Bidders to this scheme have designed a range of offers and incentives for those people who fall outside of government run scheme criteria. Visit the Utility Regulator for a current list of providers.

Generating your own electricity 

The Northern Ireland Renewables Obligation Certificates (NIROCs) scheme is now closed to all technologies since April 2017 and as a result you don’t get any financial incentive from the government for generating electricity using solar PV panels or wind turbines.

However, you can still get the benefit of reducing your electricity bills by using the free electricity generated by solar PV panels or wind turbines, and also by getting an export payment by selling back excess electricity to the grid.

Next steps

Contact an expert

For details of local grants and offers, contact the Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234 (all you pay for is a national rate call) or email an advisor.

Email ESAS